5 Tips: What Not to Do at a Gig
Playing a live performance is a big deal! What you see is what you get. Henry Rollins said “the only way to know for sure” (that a musician is legit) is to see them live.” We have compiled this handy list of What Not To Do when playing live concerts. We’ve even included documented footage to assist you 🙂
1) PLAYING BEFORE YOU ARE READY
Too many bands think playing a performance is the easiest thing in the world that it will be like mastering Guitar Hero or Rock Band. It will take lots of practice before you are ready to showcase your art for the world. Make sure you are well rehearsed before you expose yourself to the world.
Joaquin Phoenix learned this the hard way with his drunken debut of his rapping alter-ego! It recently came to light that this was all an elaborate ruse but the point remains the same. Make sure you are ready before you premiere your band!
2) NOT KNOWING YOUR LIMITATIONS
Playing a concert is no different than an athletic performance. You need to know yourself and your strengths and weaknesses. If alcohol makes you a little tipsy don’t overdo it! Get enough sleep before your show! And make sure you are hydrated and well-fed. Most importantly, if you know you have physical limitations when it comes to a dance move, err on the side of caution or you could end up like Latin vocalist Juan Gabriel!
3) STAGE DIVE INTO NOTHINGNESS
The stage dive is a long held tradition of musicians of all stripes and creeds. It’s really quite simple— you look out into the crowd, locate a large concentration of bodies, and dive! Musicians: take warning – do not dive where there are no people or you will get very hurt… like this guy!
4) LET YOUR GUARD DOWN
Rock N’ Roll can be a scary business when the crowd turns on you! Just ask Nickelback’s lead singer. After a nightmare concert filled with boos and misunderstandings, the crowd began pelting the lead singer of Nickelback with rocks! A true musician would know to assume the Rock N’ Roll Ninja pose and strike any object that could come your way — or the easier version, get the hell off the stage, and fast! Music is a lot like the real world— if you let your guard down you might get hit!
5) GOING FOR THAT HIGH NOTE YOU CAN’T HIT
Most songs have them at some point: a huge giant vocal note or crescendo. The only recommendation we can offer you is be damn sure you can hit it before you try! Practice it adequately BEFORE the day of the gig so it is second nature when it’s the real thing. One need only check out this video of Whitney Houston to avoid this embarrassment!
These are the immediate 5 suggestions coming to mind — avoid these blunders. With everyone having a camera phone, you can see how easily your limitations can be broadcast to the world! If you are a LAMA student, consider yourself lucky because we have a performance stage and lots of student performances to help you hone your craft. Not to mention, the faculty have easily played a combined 10,000 concerts! If you take only one thing from this article— we beg you, don’t stage dive into concrete!
Connect with LAMA
Search This Blog
- Here’s a Song LACM Students and Everclear’s Art Alexakis Wrote Together
- An Evening at LAMA With Taboo of Black Eyed Peas
- LAMA Spring Quarter Special Announced
- LAMA Musicians Perform During Pasadena’s Shop Indie Day
- LAMA Drum Clinic: Aaron Spears
- LAMA Instructor Spotlight: Dave Murdy
- LAMA’s #LetsTalkMusic Series Continues with Glen Ballard
- Art Alexakis Visits LAMA for an Evening with Students, Alumni
- Dave Martone – “Top 10 Things You Need to Be Awesome”
- You’re Invited! LAMA Halloween Costume Party
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (1)
- November 2013 (5)
- October 2013 (4)
- September 2013 (6)
- August 2013 (8)
- July 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (4)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (12)
- March 2013 (5)
- February 2013 (9)
- January 2013 (9)
- December 2012 (2)
- November 2012 (7)
- October 2012 (9)
- September 2012 (6)
- August 2012 (6)
- July 2012 (10)
- June 2012 (5)
- May 2012 (7)
- April 2012 (9)
- March 2012 (13)
- February 2012 (9)
- January 2012 (9)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (7)
- October 2011 (7)
- September 2011 (11)
- August 2011 (10)
- July 2011 (8)
- June 2011 (14)
- May 2011 (13)
- April 2011 (17)
- March 2011 (3)
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Arcade Fire Unleashes 'Everything Now': Listen
- Watch Meek Mill's 'We Ball' Featuring Young Thug
- Watch Estelle's 'Steven Universe' Music Video 'Stronger Than You'
- Broadway-Bound 'Mean Girls' Musical Sets Cast
- Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Bruno Mars' '24K Magic' Album Hits 1 Million Sold in U.S.
- LeAnn Rimes Leads Dance Club Songs Chart With 'LovE Is LovE Is LovE'
- Tracy Morgan Relishes Post-Crash Chance to Be a 'Better Man'
- Brandy Norwood Is Returning to 'Chicago' on Broadway
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor Is Cool With Nickelback But Calls Chad Kroeger 'Captain Ego From Planet Douche'
- 5 Things Romeo Santos Does to Get Those Killer Biceps