LAMA Feature: 5 Questions with Sam Porcaro
Introducing, Sam Porcaro!
A: I chose to attend LAMA because I wanted to further both my musical knowledge and playing ability. After a few years of community college, I decided that music school was the route I ultimately wanted to take. LAMA was the obvious choice of schools for me because I was already familiar with the school and bass department staff through my Grandpa.
A: The best part about studying music in LA is the opportunities that are around. I don’t mean solely in terms of gigs and players to meet, but also in terms of the different music scenes around town. In LA you have chances to go out to a club and check out your favorite players doing their thing. You can literally be at a place like the Piano Bar and people like Stevie Wonder or Prince randomly show up and play a set!
A: The entirety of the LAMA bass staff are amazing, it’s very hard to pick one as a favorite. Every one of them has so much to offer, whether it is technique with Jerry Watts, jazz with Steve Billman, rock with Tom Witt, blues with Doug Ross, or private lessons with David Levray. Each of them have their own way of teaching the curriculum, but there is a interconnectedness that helps to bring it all together in a way that is simple to understand and execute.
A: I started playing because I’ve grown up in a very musical family and environment. Some of my earliest childhood memories are being in the studio with my dad and all of the Toto guys while they were recording their album Tambu. From then on I always had an interest in music, however I didn’t start playing bass until many years later when my friends and I all decided we wanted to start a band. The only problem with that was that none of us played anything, so I decided I’d pick up the bass because it seemed like the natural choice to me.
A: After LAMA I plan to continue playing live and in the studio as much as I can. Playing live has always been something I’ve loved to do, whether it is with my band Maudlin Strangers or just as a sideman for solo acts. Thus far I’ve had some amazing opportunities such as playing with Edgar Winter and Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees. I can only hope that after finishing LAMA things will continue to move forward!
Connect with LAMA
Search This Blog
- Here’s a Song LACM Students and Everclear’s Art Alexakis Wrote Together
- An Evening at LAMA With Taboo of Black Eyed Peas
- LAMA Spring Quarter Special Announced
- LAMA Musicians Perform During Pasadena’s Shop Indie Day
- LAMA Drum Clinic: Aaron Spears
- LAMA Instructor Spotlight: Dave Murdy
- LAMA’s #LetsTalkMusic Series Continues with Glen Ballard
- Art Alexakis Visits LAMA for an Evening with Students, Alumni
- Dave Martone – “Top 10 Things You Need to Be Awesome”
- You’re Invited! LAMA Halloween Costume Party
- January 2014 (1)
- December 2013 (1)
- November 2013 (5)
- October 2013 (4)
- September 2013 (6)
- August 2013 (8)
- July 2013 (6)
- June 2013 (4)
- May 2013 (14)
- April 2013 (12)
- March 2013 (5)
- February 2013 (9)
- January 2013 (9)
- December 2012 (2)
- November 2012 (7)
- October 2012 (9)
- September 2012 (6)
- August 2012 (6)
- July 2012 (10)
- June 2012 (5)
- May 2012 (7)
- April 2012 (9)
- March 2012 (13)
- February 2012 (9)
- January 2012 (9)
- December 2011 (2)
- November 2011 (7)
- October 2011 (7)
- September 2011 (11)
- August 2011 (10)
- July 2011 (8)
- June 2011 (14)
- May 2011 (13)
- April 2011 (17)
- March 2011 (3)
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Luke Bryan Upgrades Wife's Engagement Ring: 'It Was the Least I Could Do'
- Celine Dion, Tim McGraw & More 'Go Purple' to Support LGBTQ Youth on Spirit Day
- Kane Brown Brings Rare Country Hit to Streaming Songs Chart
- Snoop Dogg Calls Out Donald Trump in New Song 'Make America Crip Again'
- P!nk Hits No. 1 on Dance Club Songs Chart With 'What About Us'
- Niall Horan Says One Direction Has 'Unfinished Business'
- Gucci Mane Slices His $75,000 Wedding Cake With a Sword
- Future & Young Thug Dropping 'Super Slimey' Collaboration at Midnight
- ZHU Partners With Adidas China to Debut New Song 'Waters of Monaco'
- Lady Gaga Returns to Studio With 'Born This Way' Producer DJ White Shadow